Social Icons

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Youz Guyz






I was driving down the road one day and saw a sign that said "Hey Yo Youz Guyz Authentic Philly Cheesesteaks" Knowing that I would be in Atlantic City soon and Philly is a stones throw away...well not that close but about a 45min drive, I decided to give it a try before I went on my little excursion. Youz Guyz is owned by Jimmy and Kathy De Laurentis who came down from from Philly/Jersey area on the request of their cousin Bobby Catalano to open an authentic cheesesteak shop in San Antonio.

Youz Guyz is the reason I started on Urbanspoon back in 2009. After eating there I went and googled them and found the urbanspoon link, signed up and created my first review. I have never been inclined to write a review about a place I just ate at but this one was special. After eating at the place that has been credited on creating the Philly Cheesesteak, Pat's King of Steaks in South Philly, I knew right then and there that we have authentic cheesesteaks right here deep in the heart of Texas...no need to travel now but I do recommend going to this historic place in South Philly if you are on the east coast. I have tried other places that say they have Philly Cheesesteaks (sorry Jimmy and Kathy) places like Lenny's ...they cut mine in half! What the heck!? Have you heard of the "Philly Lean" Lenny's? I tried places like Boston Subworks and Texadelphia...lets just say both are out of business now. Youz Guyz is right down the road from Randolph AFB and gets crowded at lunch time. I have been coming here so often I know exactly when to show if I want to avoid the crowd. Come right at 11am not a minute later! Or around 7 pm any day of the week except Sundays which they are closed. When you walk into this place you feel like you may be in Philly because of the decor....although Jimmy is a Dolphins fan!

The secret to a good Philly Cheesesteak is the bread. Youz Guyz ships their bread in from Philly which has that unique flavor I remembered from Pat's in Philly. The meat is thinly slice seasoned to perfection and what you always get is consistently good product. I have tried all the cheeses they offer from American, Provolone and Cheese Wiz....or put all three on which they call "The Clogger" I know they have other things besides cheesesteaks like Pizza Steaks, Hoagies, Grilled Dogs and Italian Sausage but when you come here for your first visit, you must try their Cheesesteaks. Youz Guyz also gives out military discounts, gives out wooden nickels for every 10in combo you order and when you
 collect 5 of these wooden nickels, you get a free combo on your next visit.

I'm a regular here and when Kathy is taking the order she knows exactly what I want. 10in no onion with provolone and old bay fry.....hmmmm its been awhile...visit is on the horizon.

Youz Guyz
316 Pat Booker Rd. Universal City, TX
(210) 659-8930







No comments:

Post a Comment